About 90 minutes ago I had a brown out. And since I have been training myself to keep the lab lights out
I was not paying attention to it. As a result I was about to login and post a blog only to realize a
number of failures in order…
- I could not SSH into the LAB thruogh either jump server
- The VPN hosted on my Synology would not connect
- I could not connect to the ESXi that hosted the SSH targets
Anyway it was a cascade of realization…
- having a UPS connected to a number of systems… needs to be powered on. The light was off. And so when the jump server powered off
it never powered back on.
- Since I have two UPS; The backup jump server was running, however, the target OS was running on an ESXi machine that was connected to
the first UPS and when it failed… [a] the machine rebooted [b] the guests were off and do not auto start
- and for some strange reason when the ESXi machine got power it started but did not connect to the network (there is one
NFS link to the jump server that failed but it should have started after a timeout.)
Needless to say there is a power problem here along with more stupid dependencies. One serious problem is that I needed to be in the
room to restart this… if this had been a datacenter it would require an operator to step in. Or it might require that I have IP
addressable power strips. Which only serves more problems.