There are a slew of other brands that I did not investigate. They include:
- Buffalo - very small and no battery
- Netgear - had a silly flap that exposed some LED and pretended to be an antenna
- TP-Link - mentioned although I have a micro bridge here somewhere
- D-Link - more expensive than the bar I set
- Various 3G/4G devices - required a SIM and a service contract
- Various non-name brands
- Asus WL-330NUL - on order
- Edimax BR-6258nL - looks like the Asus
I stand on the reviews I provided for the brands I tested. If I had to put together my go-bag I’m not sure which one I’d put in it. At the moment the front runner might be the HooToo Titan because of it’s battery capacity.
UPDATE: With the Asus WL-330NUL on it’s way and the docs I’ve read so far it’s starting to look like the right device. I’m guessing that it also supports VPN Client but that would be a guess. I’m also convinced that the Apple products are the worst as they require the airport utility to perform the device setup.